Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Which Universities Take Level 3 Diplomas?

cardiff university campus building

It’s September. Hundreds of thousands of students up and down the country are just starting their university adventure. How did they claim their place on the course of their choice? The conventional route is obviously through getting the required A Levels, but there are several other qualifications which universities accept…

Can a Level 3 Diploma Get You into University?

The short answer is yes. Absolutely. Every year more than 100,000 successful Level 3 or above Diploma students apply to UK universities. If a BTEC HND (Level 5 Diploma) is obtained students can progress onto the final year of 70% of degree courses.

Students progressing to university from a Diploma course are often better equipped than students that have studied A Levels because of the time management skills that are needed to complete a diploma and portfolio based assessments.

While it’s true that it is possible to get into university on some courses with a successful completion of a Level 3 Diploma, the usual progression onto a university course is from a Level 4 or 5 diploma. Some universities allow entrance after a Level 3 although it’s worth bearing in mind that some of the best universities insist on an extra qualification like an A Level to reach the requisite UCAS points. However, on completing a Level 4 or 5 diploma students can join some degree programs in year 2 or 3.

Here are a few universities that accept Level 3 diploma graduates:

  • University of Kent
  • Middlesex University
  • University of Manchester
  • University of Teesside
  • University of Westminster
  • Northumbria University
  • University of Leeds
  • Cardiff University
  • While some of the best universities in the UK require an A level alongside a Diploma or BTEC qualification others do not when a Level 4 or 5 has been completed. The subject is very important however, your diploma qualification needs to relate to the degree course for which you’re applying.

    How to Get into University as a Mature Student

    For the purposes of this article, a ‘mature student’ can be classified as someone over the age of 21 years old. It could be they’re wanting to change their career or have reached a ceiling in their current role and need more qualifications to progress in their career.

    As a mature student, getting into university could mean having to complete a year of a foundation course or access course; this depends on qualifications or experience. It might be a good idea to look into Level 3 or 4 Diplomas, too, as a way to get into university. The best way to ensure entrance into the course you’re after is to contact the universities directly and ask.

    Thinking of taking the diploma route to uni? Check out our selection of Level 3s.

    Alternatively, find out which universities accept BTECs.