Course at a glance
The Accredited Level 2 Global Citizenship Diploma course is to introduce students to key issues affecting the global community and also to enable students to participate in local community actions and activities and understand the associated impacts.
Students will develop analytical and evaluative skills as well as skills relating to independent research of topics and these skills will allow students to view global issues from different perspectives.
The Accredited Level 2 Citizenship Diploma may be of interest to those seeking to understand global issues and citizenship from a personal perspective and apply their knowledge to practical situations such as voluntary work or within a career role.
The course is a year in length and divided into 2 units of study. At the end of each unit there is an associated TMA (Tutor Marked Assessment) which students are required to complete and submit. The course is formally assessed by an average grade being attained from the 2 submitted Assessments.
Accredited Level 2 Global Citizenship Diploma Entry Requirements
Basic English reading and writing skills, as full tutor support is given.
All students must be 16 years of age or above.
Approximately 160 hours.
You can enrol on the course at any time.
Two tutor marked assignments; one assignment after each unit.
Accredited Level 2 Global Citizenship Diploma Course Content
Accredited Level 2 Global Citizenship Diploma Unit 1: The Present Basics
Module 1: Development of communities
- The origins and implications of identity
- International governance
- Universal Declaration on Human Rights – origins and main features
- Multiculturalism and integration
- Benefits and challenges of diverse societies
- The role of sport and culture in communities
- The causes and effects of migration on the global community
Module 2: Democracy
- Government systems
- Features of democracy
- Totalitarianism regimes
- Understanding how different types of government systems impacts communities
- Comparing national systems
- The impact of changes on representation including age, gender and race
- Local, national and global perspectives on democracy
- Patterns of representation
- Human rights
- Role of the United Nations
Module 3: Technology and communities
- Use of communications technology in both developed and developing countries
- The impact of technologies on communities including changes that take place as technology develops and the link between wealth and poverty and access to communications technology
- Rights and freedoms related to communications technology and the impact of census and bias related to communication technologies
- Political use of technology
- The uses of technology as a climate change solution
Accredited Level 2 Global Citizenship Diploma Unit 2: The Future
Module 4: Creating a fairer world
- Global patterns of wealth and poverty
- Role and impact of the United Nations
- Economic relationships between rich and poor
- Developing sustainable economies
- Individual responsibility in creating a fairer world
- Business responsibility in creating a fairer world
- The role of charities and non-governmental organisations in creating a fairer world
- Rights and freedoms and the connections between economic development and human rights
Module 5: Making a difference
- Research into an issue that has global connections
- Key stages of planning a relevant action
- Understanding different viewpoints on a particular issue
- Understanding the outcomes of an action at local levels and how these link to global issues
- Communicating your own views and perspectives
- Undertake your own community action relating to a global issue
- How to review the outcomes of your action
This Accredited Level 2 Global Citizenship Diploma can be used in preparation for progressing to higher level study in relevant citizenship subjects (for example Accredited Level 3 Diplomas) or as a vehicle for career development or to fulfil entry requirements to education courses.
You can view further information on our Level 3 Diplomas here: https://www.oxfordcollege.ac/courses/level-3-diploma-courses-online/